Why do we do this?
One of the most important regulatory steps we undertake is our suitability process. It is important that we make sure that our investment products are suitable for each individual investor. We consequently employ a simple three-step process to establish that investors are happy to make their own investment decisions, understand the terms and that there is no FSCS coverage, and are aware that investments carry risk (you can read more about the risks involved here). This process is required before we are able to send you any information about our investment opportunities and before you make an investment into any of our opportunities.
The three-step process
We have developed this process with our investors in mind – it can be completed online in a few clicks.
- Firstly, a brief questionnaire (four questions) to ensure it is understood that there is risk to your capital when making an investment and that investments are off-market and illiquid (in other words, not tradeable on a secondary market) and cannot be redeemed before the end of the investment term you select.
- Secondly, you need to confirm that you are aware that we treat all our investors as “retail” clients by default. This is a requirement of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulation, and simply means that you are not a professional client or eligible counterparty.
- Thirdly, as per the Financial Services and Marketing Act (2000), we require that you select your investor type. We are able to offer our investments to two categories of investor:
- Self-certified sophisticated investor – someone whohas invested in company investments, bonds, shares or other securities that are unlisted and cannot be bought or sold on stock exchanges in the last two years, or someone who has been a member of a business angel syndicate or network for at least six months.
- Self-certified high-net-worth individual – someone who has an annual income of £100,000 or more, or net assets of £250,000 or more. “Net assets” cannot include the house that you live in or your pension.
This process should take you no longer than two or three minutes. Once complete, you will be able to receive information about any of our opportunities and proceed with making an investment. As ever, our relationship managers are always on hand should you require any assistance.